Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why are Mario & Luigi known as the Mario Brothers?

 


For some people of my age group, Mario and Luigi games have been around for our entire lives. There have seemingly always been Mario and Luigi games. There are a number of us, I’m sure, who’d see it as an indication of the approaching apocalypse. For most of us, less crazy, people, Mario and Luigi games mark the passing of your years, ageing to perfection sort of a fine wine.


 


Don’t expect to become a guru on Italian culture by playing Mario and Luigi games. Actually, when I had my first Italian instruction (aged around eleven) I did my best Mario impersonation when delivering my lines to the remainder of the class. To his eternal credit, my lecturer never once chided me with a order “do it again, and now be less of a berk!”


 


We have even seen solo Luigi spin-offs over the years. Which is extraordinary bearing in mind that he was originally merely a green version of Mario. This meant that the pink skeletons on Golden Axe II were in fact much tougher You’re my entry-level bad guys, which means you wear dull grey and brown, you’ll be confined, hidden away and you won’t appear to be a berk, no matter how bad your Italian is! But you, my elite and unstoppable personal guard, YOU shall be clad in Neon Disco Pink! Mwahahahaha!”) well done to Luigi.


 


In the Mario and Luigi games tie-in cartoon, that Was shown on Saturday morning along with such greats as ‘Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors’ ‘Ulysses 31’ ‘Visionaries’ and ‘M.A.S.K’ (three points for each theme song it is possible to remember) Luigi was presented as a bit of a bumbler, a fool even, actually, I’ve just this second raised a childhood memory of being forced by my friend Jimmy to be Luigi as we acted out the cartoon (aged about 7) and him yelling at me (in Berkish Italian) for having crumbs in my pocket. There, that’s how far back Mario and Luigi games go if you’re my age, there is scarcely a time without them. The mere mention of Mario and Luigi games takes us on a visit down Sends us on a nostalgia trip, so lets-a-go!


 


Now its the turn of today’s children to take Mario and Luigi adventures to the next level, which is terrific. Though, if you are a parent who’s a little older than me, let me set the record straight on a couple of things 1) There is nothing to be learned about Italian from these games 2) Your child will learn nothing at all about plumbing from these games 3) he/she’s going to look like a berk when they do the accent. That’s it.



Why are Mario & Luigi known as the Mario Brothers?

No comments:

Post a Comment